Monday, January 31, 2011

PERSONAL: 84TH BIRTHDAY + GREEN-EYED MONSTER

I slowly open the door as to not startle her. The scent of peppermint and homeopathic oils greets me. Right away fond memories fill my mind. I smile broadly like the mischievous child I once was.

 “Hi Abuelita” I say to the shadowy figure sitting in a rocking chair in front of me. I wait for my eyes to adjust from the brightly illuminated living room to the dim window light that illuminates her room and softly caresses her face.

mija, my child” she says as I lean over and tenderly kiss her forehead. She doesn’t look too good. She hasn’t for a while. My grandma is turning 84 this month, and I can tell from the way she moves that the years weigh heavily up on her.  She looks at me knowing exactly what I’m thinking.
“I never thought I would live this long, I’m already living overtime you know? I’m stealing oxygen from the youngsters” She tells me in Spanish and the corner of her lips curl up into a smile. She thinks she is hilarious and I can’t help but to chuckle.

“Grandma, I think you’re going to be around for quite a bit longer” I reassure her as I’m fighting back tears, but more than anything I reassure myself. At that moment Peter walks into the room and my Grandma’s face lights up when she sees him.  I secretly feel jealous that she might like him better than me. 

K~B




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment on this post: