Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Personal: Lesson learned from hiking Smith Rock


My thighs were burning, muscles I didn't even know I had were making themselves manifest reminding me of my lack of condition. I stopped to catch my breath, mostly because my lunch was threatening to see light once again. I was so done, there was no way I was climbing higher. Why did I ever let Peter talk me into this in the first place? I should’ve known better.  

Sitting there feeling half dead I looked up. I had been so afraid of tripping and falling that I had not noticed the scenery around me. I stood there mesmerized, taking it all in. Somehow contemplating the huge mountains and the river running through them gave me a second wind. I had to make it to the top. I had to see what was up there.

Slowly I draged myself up.  You’re close, you can’t give up now, I kept repeating to myself every time I felt like collapsing.  A few painful moments later we made it to the top. In front of us stood a majestic view. Standing there, at the edge of the cliff, made the anguish dissapear. It was worth the pain.

If I had stopped when the pain kicked in, I would have missed out. I was so close, yet I was about to give up. The lesson learned can be applied to all aspects of life. Sometimes we work so hard towards something and go through the struggles and the effort but when we are about to reap the benefits we give up. We quit without realizing how close we really are to the majestic view, to success. I'm not saying it will be easy, but it will be worth it. Climbing the mountain was hard work, there was pain, struggle, doubting wether I could do it or not, and the list went on and on. I had to constantly remind myself of the prize.  As long as we keep our eyes on the prize, we can climb any mountain, no matter how big it is.

K~B





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment on this post: